“Can I use bleach to mop my floors?” is a common question. Righ? Cleaning and disinfecting have become a common household habit due to the outbreak of any serious hygiene related disease from time to time.
Cleaning your house is also necessary to prevent other diseases. It should be your first priority to clean your house. A clean and healthy environment helps to keep your mind sound and healthy.
You can certainly use bleach to clean your floor, considering its chemical components such as sodium hypochlorite that helps to kill germs and bacterias. The chlorine in bleach helps to kill all the bacteria, viruses, and germs.
In the following article, I will show you the proper way of cleaning your house in 6 steps and the benefit of using bleach with some safety tips to prevent any kind of unwanted accidents.
6 Steps To Clean Your Floor With Bleach:
These are the 6 steps to clean your floor with bleach. Let’s look at a glance.
1. Prepare Your Solution Beforehand:
A home is a place where you spend most of your time. Especially amidst pandemic lockdowns, you have to stay home all the time. It is a necessity to keep your house clean. Not only for any pandemic but also other health related issues.
To make the solution:
- Mix half a cup of bleach into that water and mix them well.
- Make sure the water is warm enough.
- If the floor is way too dirty, then you can mix three fourth cup of bleach.
- You can also mix a full cup of bleaching powder with 5 gallons of water, depending on the area that needs to be cleaned and sanitized.
2. Dust Off And Prepare Your Area Before Bleaching:
Before starting to mop your floor, make sure to prepare the area that you are going to clean using bleach. Cleaning the floor with bleach with dust on it might be a bad idea. You need to make sure the following things:
- You have moved all the furniture out to get that perfect cleaning.
- You have cleaned the dusty parts of the floor with a dust cleaner or broom.
- It is better if you use a vacuum cleaner.
- Remove all the important or necessary things from the room floor.
3. Clean The Floor With Detergent Or Vinegar Before Mopping With Bleach:
After cleaning and removing all the specks of dust from the floor, make sure to wipe the floor with detergent mixed water to remove any residue specks of dust. To wipe the floor, follow the instructions below:
- Take 3 or 4 gallons of water.
- Make sure to fill the water in a handy bucket.
- Ensure the water is warm enough.
- Mix 4 to 5 tablespoons of detergent or soap powder.
- Make sure to clean every area properly.
- You can also scrub the surface before, cleaning it with bleach solution.
4. Dip The Mop into The Solution Directly:
After cleaning your floor with detergent mixed water, you need to dip your mop into the solution that was made with bleaching powder and warm water.
The water mixed in the bleach makes it dilute enough to be able to clean and disinfect the surface of the floor. Then wring out the mop enough to make it damp. Not too wet or not too dry. Just enough damp to clean the surface properly.
5. Rinse Floor After Mopping With Bleach:
You need to rinse the floor after mopping with bleach solution.
After following all the above mentioned procedures such as brooming, wiping your floor with detergent mixed water, and bleach solution, you need to keep the bleach integrated solution on the floor for a few minutes.
You are cleaning, the time to keep can vary, such as:
- If you are cleaning a small room, keeping it for 5 minutes is enough.
- If the area is big, then you might need to keep it for long.
- It may also vary. Like, tiles floor can take much longer of bleach time than the wooden surface.
- If the area is too filthy, you might consider keeping it for 15 minutes to 20 minutes.
After keeping it for your desired time, you have to rinse the floor with clean water.
A Few Safety Tips:
As much as it is important to stay clean, it is also crucial to maintain safety while cleaning your floor. For example:
1. Keep Your Doors And Windows Opened:
Open the windows before starting to clean with bleach. The fumes of the bleach are harmful to your lungs. Opening windows will reduce the amount of fumes getting into your breathing system. Thus it will keep your lungs safe.
2. Wear Gloves During Using Bleach:
Cleaning is all about hands’ job. You need to make good use of your hands if you want a perfectly cleaned floor. If you wish to have a cleaned floor, you might as well apply some force.
But while doing all these, make sure to wear gloves. Bleach has such components in it that it might burn your hands very severely. Wearing gloves will keep you safe from burning your hands down.
3. Cover Your Eyes During The Cleaning Process:
Bleach has burning components or such ingredients those might cause a burning sensation to your eyes. It may also cause many harmful effects to the eyes in many different ways.
For this reason, you always need to wear an eye mask or a glass to keep the eyes safe. Never touch your eyes right after cleaning the floor with bleach solution.
4. Mix Bleach and Vinegar Or Other Cleaning Agents To Clean Floors:
A bleach solution can alone save your day. You do not need to add any extra cleaning agent with bleach to clean the floor. It will be rather harmful to you.
If mixed together, bleach and vinegar create chlorine gas which might result in coughing and vomiting. Bleach and ammonia together create a gas named chloramine which is toxic to the level where your eyes start to burn, and you face shortness of breath
Can Bleach Be Used To Clean Or Disinfect Bathroom Floors?
The bathroom is such an area that is considered to be the most filthy, dirty, and germ-packed place. In your house, the most level of bacteria is found in the toilet. It is also the same place that we all need to go to quite frequently. That is why it is vital and important to keep it clean and disinfectant.
To clean the bathroom floor:
- First you need to scrub the floor and make sure it is clean off any dirt and is clean enough.
- Then we need to put the bleach mixture where the amount of bleach would be three fourth of a cup if the bathroom is small and clean enough.
- Or you can add equal parts of bleaching powder and warm water if the floor is too much dirty and needs deep cleansing.
Is Bleach Good For Cleaning Floors?
A bleach based cleaning solution is always good for sanitizing your home, especially the floors. As it helps to clean and sanitize thoroughly. It is good for the following reasons:
- It is less expensive than other cleaning agents.
- Bleach eliminates mold or mildew that has grown on your floors, protecting you from hazardous spores.
- Cleaning with bleach once or twice a month helps to keep the germs away that saves you from many diseases.
Can You Use Bleach For Mopping Wooden Floors?
If you ask for my expert advice, the answer would be no. It is not safe to use bleach on wooden floors. The reasons are-
- The chemical components in a bleach ruins the outer layer of a wooden surface and moisture and water penetrates wood making it weak.
- The chemical components of a bleach reach to the core level of molecular composition of a substance. Thus it affects its’ reflection of light system which results in the wood’s discoloration.
Will Bleach Harm Tile Floor?
The answer depends on your usage. Generally it does not, but using anything on an excessive amount might affect it badly. Things to keep in mind-
- You always need to dilute the bleach with water.
- Make sure to use a very small amount of bleach, like ¾ cup or ½ cup at best.
- Avoid sprinkling bleach directly on tile floors. It can ruin the texture of your tiles by making it rough and the colors can fade. The pudding or cement used to join the tiles can also get ruined due to over usage of bleach.
Chlorine is a cleaning agent found in bleach. For many years it has been a medium of cleaning in our households. From cleaning to disinfecting, even bleach works for whitening as well.
By maintaining the proper ratio of warm water and bleach, you can make the perfect bleach solution that can clean almost everything.